Jet 708580 JBM-5 1/2 Horsepower Bench Mortiser Review And Deals
Hi friend and welcome to my review of the Jet 708580 JBM-5 1/2 Horsepower Bench Mortiser.
In this straight to the point review you will find the main pros and cons of the Jet 708580 JBM-5 1/2 Bench Mortiser Review And Deals, the key features of it and some helpful feedback from people who purchased this bench mortiser online.
Short Summary About The Jet 708580
The new Jet 708580 JBM-5 bench mortiser is an easy and affordable option for all the professionals out there. Made keeping in mind the needs of the professional furniture makers, this bench mortiser can also be used by home wood workers due to its accurate and easy drilling control.
The Jet 708580 features a 1/5 horse power induction motor and is made using heavy duty cast iron and steel which will ensure a very long working life. Weighing at only 44 pounds, the Jet 708580 can be easily used and comes with the option of being able to reverse on its base to make mortising long stock easier.
The Jet 708580 comes with steel doors that give access to the chuck and with a 4-inch chuck key the user does not have to worry about injuring their hands while changing bits.
General Details about Jet 708580
Product Dimensions: 22 x 13 x 11 inches
The Pros And Cons Of The Jet 708580 Bench Mortiser
- The very strong 1/5 horse power induction motor is more than enough for most users.
- Removable toggle switch which ensures the product does not turn on accidentally; hence provides extra security.
- A spindle speed of 1725 rpm.
- Product is made of heavy duty cast iron and steel that ensures stability and reliability for years of usage.
- Very sharp and easy to use chisels and bits.
- The product is set on a heavy duty cast iron base with four pre-drilled mounting holes.
- At only 44 pounds, the product is very easy and comfortable to use.
- Best bench mortiser in the class for a novice wood worker due to its simple to understand and use design.
- With the option of reversing on its base, mortising of long objects is made easier.
- Great value for money product.
- The product comes with a 5 year warranty.
- A common negative attribute that is seen in most of the bench mortisers in this class is seen in the Jet 708580 also. Though it is an improvement compared to the others, the hold down fixture could have been made better. The hold down feature which is not exactly parallel to the base surface causes the stock to move slightly when taking the chisel from the mortise.
- The adjustable fence of the Jet 708580 is rather poorly designed.
- A little high priced compared to the other bench mortisers of the same class.
The Bottom Line
The new Jet 708580 JBM-5 1/2 Horsepower Bench Mortiser is a very nicely designed product that can be used by both professionals and novices with equal ease.
The simplicity of the product will be of great help to the home wood workers and users who are not accustomed with Jet products. With a 1/5 HP induction motor, the product will more than enough for most uses. In addition at only 44 pounds, it is very easy to handle and use.
Overall, by any measure, the advantages of the Jet 708580 far exceed its disadvantages. With an additional 5 year warranty, the Jet 708580 will definitely be a great value for your money!